Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It's the End of World as I Know It

Well, not REALLY, but the REM song is drifting in and out of my mind today. Nix that; I just looked at the lyrics and let me just say, the REFRAIN of the song is in my mind. Um, yeah, them's some interesting lyrics there...

Anyway, summer is officially over for me; I start back to school tomorrow. Two days of new teacher orientation (I'm new to the school, not to teaching) and then five full days of preplanning next week. The story of how daughter and I have come to be at this wonderful school is amazing; I'll have to relate it sometime. It's a covenant Christian school, meaning that at least one parent of the student has to professing saving faith in Christ. Our previous school, where she was for kindergarten and I taught science, had all Christian faculty and staff but accepted anyone. 70% of the student body was unchurched. Hubby and I had a heart to heart (with ourselves and with God) this past winter and knew that we needed to get her in a covenant school as soon as possible. And, yes: All things are possible to him who believes." (Mark 9:23). God worked in a mighty way for us to make the move to this school; I'll have to relate that process
in another post.

Getting started to school again is not all that bad, really. I am very excited! I actually love change, and the good thing about teaching is you start all over again with each new school year: new students, maybe a few new approaches, some new perspectives, new challenges and new rewards. I will teach four classes of 7th grade pre-algebra (my favorite) and one class of 7th grade science. There are four 7th grade teachers, and since the senior teacher for each grade teaches Bible (considered a core class here, held daily!), one subject is divided among the teachers; this year it's science, so all four of us have one class of science.

My room is just about set. It was the drama room, equipped with sofas, painted backdrops and props, racks of clothing -- it was wiped totally out in preparation for my arrival; I felt as though the
Grinch had stolen all my roastbeast; the only thing left was a clock on the wall. l mean, there wasn't even a pencil sharpener or trash can, let alone any crumbs for the Who's mouses. But, the physical aspect of the room is all done; I have some papers to organize and file (still waiting on those hanging and manila folders) and SEVEN DAYS WORTH OF MEETINGS. Oh,I guess it would help to have some lesson plans written up before August 14th? I've been asking for a copy of my math curriculum for, oh, about 4 weeks now. Note to self: never start a new job at a school the year they are undergoing review for accreditation. But I hope that daughter (going into first grade) and I will be there at least through her senior year (well, I do want HER out after that!).

So, woo-hoo for me. It's back to work but what a blessing and a privilege for daughter and me to be at this remarkable institution, and what a humbling challenge for me to guide and inspire and instruct these wonderful students first and foremost in the ways of God's kingdom; keeps me on my toes, as well -- a lot of potential for personal growth! We're all a work in progress, you know.

Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it. -- Proverbs 22:6

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow I cant believe its time for school to start again... totally trippy! Good luck on getting the math curriculm done! Better you then me!!